Thursday, January 17, 2008

3L tired of being told class participation is important

Kandice Neksne, The Stool

While Russ Stengel’s Agency prof went over the new syllabus during the first day of class this week, Stengel was displeased to see that 30% of his grade would come from class participation. “I would like to be left the hell alone is what I would like,” said Stengel. “I’m tired of mustering up the courage to talk in class two or three times a semester so the prof can cut me off at the knees. I just want to take notes, play some minesweeper, and do a little internet shopping. Is that too much to ask?”

For many profs, the answer evidently is "yes." “It’s nice when students chime in,” one professor told us on condition of anonymity. “when they do, I always get that ‘wow you’re an idiot, and I’m smart, and you’re in law school and I’m not’ rush. I live for it. It’s basically the whole reason I decided to teach.”

Some students, however, revel in the chance to bore their peers with inane blather a minute and twenty seconds before class is over. Those students are often the subject of many Sweeney’s and Billy’s-inspired bitch-sessions, and historically go on to become PI or tax attorneys.