Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lawyers concerned for lawyers membership swells as finals end

Hans Olo, The Stool

With finals over and libations liberated, Mitchell students have been sewing their drunken oats on Twin Cities streets – much to the chagrin of Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers. “We know it’s fun to go out and celebrate the end of the school year with friends, but when celebration turns to abuse we get concerned,” said Chester Gonzolez, the Mitchell chapter chair of LCFL. “We just want to urge students and faculty to enjoy being with friends in moderation, and most importantly, make good decisions around driving while intoxicated.”

“When I got pinched for public drunkeness the night after my torts final, the first thing I thought about was my Bar application,” 2L-to-be Greg Kienel told us. “As soon as I got out [of jail] I signed up with LCFL. What a pain in the ass.” Kienel faces a situation similar to many students as they stare the specter of alcohol-related transgressions in the face.

Others have chosen a more proactive approach. “I signed up [for LCFL] as soon as I heard about it,” said 3L Thomas Robinsson. “I like to have a beer or two on weekends, so I thought ‘it’s better to be safe than sorry,’ and joined just in case. I haven’t needed it yet, but it’s a great place to meet chicks who like to get hammered.”