Thursday, May 24, 2007

2L regrets vigorous, conspicuous head nodding to techno song

Virginia Lupus, The Stool

During the final weeks of class this spring, 2L Martin Krzyzskeis found himself in the throes of a jam session only he could hear. “I was sitting in that room with all the leather chairs studying, listening to my iPod, when this song came on that I really like,” explained Krzyzskeis. “I turned it up, and the next thing I know, I’m…well…I’m really getting down to the song.”

The song – “Save the Last Trance for Me” by Paul Oakenfold – seemed to catch Krzyzskeis at exactly the right moment. “I started bobbing my head a little to the beat with my eyes closed, but as the song went on I really got into it. I started nodding my head hard and even pumping my fist and biting my lower lip towards the end. I guess I was hoping people would ask me what I was listening to so I could share, but it didn’t really end up that way.”

Krzyzskeis’s performance had an effect, but certainly not the one he was looking for. “I was sitting down there when I saw this guy starting to go crazy,” recounted 2L Leslie Paxisl. “His eyes were closed and it looked like he was about to have an orgasm in his pants or something. It was really, really creepy. My friends and I got our stuff and left we were so embarrassed for him.”

“It’s one of those things you can’t take back and you can’t live down,” Krzyzskeis told us. “If I could take it back, I would. The looks on people’s faces around the room when I looked up was awful. If they weren’t whispering to each other and giggling, they were avoiding eye contact with me. Why did I do that?! I’m such an idiot!”

Krzyzskeis may not live down his grand performance, and it serves as a strong reminder to all of us that acting like a buffoon in public in general – and at school in particular – is often a harbinger of unflattering nicknames and social isolation. Beware.