Friday, November 30, 2007

1L grateful to finally have something to talk about

Hans Olo, The Stool

Family gatherings like Thanksgiving and Festivus have proven to be full of awkward conversations for 1L Beth Page, but this year is different. “There are no more strained pauses,” said Page. “Usually during Thanksgiving dinner I would be sitting with one of my Mom’s cousins that I see like once a year, and after the ‘how’s work’ chit-chat died down my mind would race for something – anything – we could talk about. Finally, we have something.”

Law school has been the great social situation salve for Page. When the conversation dimmed, the ubiquitous “how’s school going” question served as a conversational spotlight. “God I loved hearing that question,” said Page. “It ate up enough time for someone else to join in so I could get out after a while without having to make up an excuse.”

Other students have had similar experiences. “I used to just skip going to any family function where drinking isn’t acceptable simply because I have nothing in common with most of them,” said 2L Bill Oslund. “But since I started school there’s always something to talk about. Of course now they expect me to help them solve their absurd legal problems, but whatever. At least I can leave my flask home most of the time.”